Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the secrecy after the European games got delivered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBangJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Why the secrecy after the European games got delivered? Reply with quote

Now that all games are out of the door, maybe it's time to tell us why us Europeans couldn't tell anyone about it? I remember that nobody really minded that we got our games first, but a lot of people did mind the secrecy.

Apparently there was a good reason to keep quiet, but nobody told us what that reason was.

So PMI, what was that all about??
runner1717

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it could have PO'd others that had to wait another year for their games!

You know, kinda like when you're brother or sister gets more treats or a better toy than you do.................
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it all comes back to the legal concerns.

See: http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533
unigroove

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 wrote:
I believe that it all comes back to the legal concerns.

See: http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/bbb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533

As far as I know that was the case. I spoke with Kim when the games came in and instructed the buyers on behalf of Kim and Gene to keep the arrival of the games silent. I was told someone was still trying to stop the production and if word got out games were already delivered that someone might have taken steps.

As Kim stated once the news got out, they were not affraid to PO the other buyers as there was a very good excuse to ship the games.

Jonathan
nitrodude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know weathere or not the games shiped and I'm the one who called Gene about the ROHS problem. I heard later some outhere suplyers told him also.

Cool
metallik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy the "PO" nonsense... I'd say most people who bought the game were mature enough to understand the circumstances (RoHS) and not mind the early shipment. I certainly didn't mind - it had to be done. Would people have denied the European buyers the chance to get their games at all by missing the deadline? Highly doubtful.

The legal situation was the cause. Court action, even if ultimately unsuccessful, could have delayed delivery of the remaining games significantly.
awarner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get in trouble for saying this, but our Australian buddy (who has made signifigant profit from the machines he bought) was trying to stop this project at every turn. In addition, another well known entity was trying to find things to tick off Williams because Gene started a lawsuit against him.

In the video, Gene mentions a bobbin for a coil winding that had a Williams part number on it. It couldn't be used in our games since that would have crossed patents. I found out that this got "Reported" to Williams and delayed the part being made while Gene worked out the details. This is for the diverter magnet on the ramp.

Everytime they had a victory in production, they had to look over thier shoulders. If production got shut down for any unforseen reason, we would not have our games. All machines needed to be delivered at once to reduce the chances of something like that happening. So silence was a necessary evil. Whether or not it was the only course of action they could take is not the point, it was the decision they made. The number of pre-RoHS games in Europe was kept a secret for similar reasons.

Kangaroo boy eventually got locked out of this system. That was a good thing (IMHO).

When I told the people at IPDB.ORG that BBB was being delivered, they called me a liar. They were extremely rude to me.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
latecomer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frankly never understood the level of animosity displayed by Wayne towards Gene & Co. He rang me a few times towards the delivery date seeking info from the forum, of course I wasn't able to help much! Smile But it was funny to hear him talk about how things could be better with co-operation, as if the problems lay with IPB.

Anyway, we have our machines, he's sold off his "spares" I believe, maybe we can forget about that ugly part of the background to the project.

Not all Aussies are evil!

Regards
Nick
The Good Aussie
Vegemite Nick #123
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al is correct!

We were threatened with a c & d. Of course he couldn't tell us what parts were covered under his patents. and a big thanks to our bull dog lawyer Tim for standing up to him with a no nonsense attitude and saving the day.
Poor guy never knew what hit him once Tim was thru with him.

We would have loved to have been able to share with you guys everytime we overcame an obstacle but because of the threat we couldn't take the chance. That's why it was easier to let you know when things went wrong and it looked like the project would drag on. It bought us time to get the games done.

When the word got out that we had delivered the overseas games we were really worried. We knew that it would be a hard secret to keep, but we had hoped for the best.

Once we made the announcement for the pickup date there were alot of sleepless nites. But everything came off and the games went out.

WMS was very kind and when we did find parts that were questionable we went to them and they gave us permission to use those parts. It was a good working relationship.

We also need to thank Gary Stern and Company, they were wonderful about helping us out on several occasions.

For the most part had we not had to worry about the c & d life would have been better even with all of the obstacles.

So that is the reason for all of the secrecy.

As for working together. Wayne if you are reading this we tried that remember.

Burn me once shame on you burn me twice shame on me!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Have a great day and enjoy your games.

the pinball witch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: