Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ball fails to travel unimpeded to the BAR locks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhayes1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Ball fails to travel unimpeded to the BAR locks Reply with quote

Problem: Occasionally (~40% of the time) when shooting the ball to the BAR (to lock at Rosencrantz or Guildenstern), the ball would strike the plastic island on the ramp (which divides the upper plastic lane and the green wire return lane. The ball then falls into the green wire return lane and rolls down to the flipper returns lanes.

Observation: After observing another BBB that never exhibited that problem, I noticed that the First (left) ball diverter (the one that diverts the ball to the slotted tube) was positioned almost perfectly in line with the curve of the ramp. On my game the diverter was set back, not in alignment with the curve of the ramp.

On my game the ball would travel up the ramp, following the curve of the plastic ramp, then the ball would strike the last 1/3 of the First (left) metal diverter and bounce (or maybe track) towards the plastic island of the ramp. On the proper functioning game the ball travels up the ramp following the entire curve of the First (left) metal diverter and tracking directly to the BAR.

Solution: Readjust the First (left) diverter to align exactly with the curve of the ramp. Do not over adjust the diverter as damage to the Tube Dancer’s Tube could result.

Important Note: The First (left) diverter can be adjusted too much and cause damage to the Tube Dancer’s Tube. If it is improperly adjusted too far into the curve of the ramp, when activated, (to divert the ball to the tube), the left diverter could strike the Dancer’s Tube (causing significant damage!). The proper alignment with the ramp should provide more than ¼” clearance with the tube when the diverter is actuated.

Fix: Raise playfield. Locate clamp and shaft (Page 102 and 103 in the manual). Loosen clamp with allen wrench. Adjust diverter to proper alignment. Check that the diverter does not strike Tube Dancer’s Tube when manually actuated by pushing the plunger into the coil. Tighten the clamp securely. (A loose clamp could be just as hazardous to the Tube.) Double check that the diverter does not strike Tube Dancer’s Tube when manually actuated by pushing the plunger into the coil.

Rob Hayes
BBB #18
irbgolfin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Curious thing about mine was that it seemed OK when I got it and as time went on it developed the problem. Got to the point where it missed so often it was tough to lock 2 balls in one game... you could have a great game going but not get to BB. I thought something might be loose, but didn't notice anything when I got into it.

My solution was a little different, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else runs into the problem. I couldn't see how to perform the described adjustment since there is a groove for the divertor to go into. When I'd tighten down the piece that holds the shaft it would just go back to the misaligned position. So I took out the whole assembly to get access to the bushing... there is a flipper type bushing but it's connected from the playfield side... the removal allowed me to unscrew the bushing. I then added a small washer to 2 of the screws to adjust the angle of the bushing (took a couple of tries with different sizes to find one that was just right), kind of a shim. After doing this, the shaft was lined up nice but the "scoop" part of the divertor missed the clearance holes in the ramp by a hair, so I added a little elbow grease to line it up.

As mentioned, be careful with the reinstallation so you don't nail the tube!!!

Works like a charm now!
capcomber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what happened on my diverter.

Diverter would not return to correct resting position.

Cause: Looking at the mech on the underside of the
playfield I noticed that the return spring was hanging
up on the roll pin that connects the plunger to the link.
The roll pin was too long & stuck out too much.
Removed the plunger & then the roll pin.
I cut the roll pin shorter & reassembled.
nworker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BBB bounces back on occasion and every thing looks like it is aligned correctly.

The problem is that I am worried about the ramp itself. When the ball does hit the flat part of the ramp which separates the two ramp at the top, it must be stressing that plastic. Kind of like TAF, it will eventually break that part of the ramp. Do you think that we could get a cliffy protector up there or some kind of replaceable part that takes the stress off that part of the ramp.

Hank
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory on this is that the spring isn't strong enough on the diverter. Mine has started to crack a little. When I replace the ramp, I'm going to try some other springs I bought a few months back. New ramps are coming!

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
BBB94

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a stronger spring should help. I got a stronger spring. I know another guy intertwined two springs.
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had some good luck with this this weekend.

i bent inward the extension plate (the stop the coil hits at rest) to the diverter that goes to the slotted tube just enough to make it so its a nice smooth transition, then i replaced the spring to the bar locks with a stiffer spring.

everything works great now. my guess is that the tube dancer diverter was supposed to have a rubber bushing stop on it?

-c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: