Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expo Madness and and Aborted trip...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Expo Madness and and Aborted trip... Reply with quote

My trip to Chicago for Expo had highs and lows this year. It was also cut short by a day and a night. Let me explain:

I had talked to Gene about two weeks ago after contacting Kim via this forum to try and interview Gene for Pins and Vids Video Magazine #2. I wanted to go down to Bloomington and see the facility, hear Gene talk about stuff and get some shots of the BBB progress. Expo has registration that starts on Wednesday night, but the vendor hall doesn't open until Thursday night.

I tried to get ahold of Gene, but I couldn't connect. He called me twice on Monday but my Wife wasn't around to take the call so I got them when I got home really late on Monday (around 11PM). I tried calling, figuring it was 10PM there, but Gene's phone was off. Gene's two messages were: "I'm not going to be in Bloomington on Wednesday, I have to go to the assembly facility for a meeting. I'm sorry if this messes up your plans - call me.", and "If you would like to come by the assembly plant in Chicago (less than 25 miles from Expo), give me a call and we can talk there". I was scheduled to fly out on Tuesday night so I worked from home on Tuesday and called Gene in the morning. I got a time to meet him and the name of the place and Mapquested my route.

The meeting with Gene was wonderful. We sat down and talked for 45 minutes about BBB, Williams / Bally, his history, etc. Then I got to see the assembly area and all of the work that the team has been doing. Gene took me from section to section explaining everything. Assemblies are being put together for installation on playfields while Kerry's team and volunteers are building sample wired playfields. Testing of the first playfield looks really close (underside components / wiring).

I took tape of everything. It was really cool to see the progress. When I got back to the room and started to rewind the tape, it got jammed and the image was looking really bad. I decided to wait to copy the tape to my computer when I got home and not look at it.

My plan includes to use the video for Pins and vids but since I hope to be releasing that in April/May, I'm sure y'all don't want to wait that long so I plan to give you a clip every week (keep it to ourselves). I'll get that started after Gene approves it. It's all gonna run through Gene first. At the end of the day I went to supper with Gene and Kim. Again, it was nice to chat with them in an informal setting. Really nice people.

There have been various pre parties at different places in the past, but this year, they moved the pre party to the foyer of the hotel in front of the main hall with lots of pins set up. This made Wednesday night a fun time to meet and play pinball.

Thursday is filled with seminars until 6PM, then the hall opens. I went on the Stern Tour in the morning and to a couple of seminars including a video tour of Gene's collection and the parts company (this was INCREDIBLE - wish I could shoot this, but really do it right) and Tim Arnold's Pinball Hall of Fame taped presentation. Clay Harrell explained what Tim had sent him and ran Tim's video. I taped this and have the video to put it all back together ($6 PHOF donation will get you one when the video is edited). Later that day, they announced there was no audio or video recording allowed. I asked about getting an exception because of my "Not for profit" status, but the show organizers refused for everthing except the Shaggy and Norm show. This depressed me because I knew Friday's Fireside Chat was the BBB one.

After leaving PHOF seminar, my cell phone told me I had messages waiting. The main ballroom is in the basement so cell signal was non existant. My wife had been urging me to call her because she was in an accident with her van. She's OK, but the airbags deployed and broke the windshield and freaked her and my 10 year old Daughter out and the van was towed to the shop. I spent the rest of the day helping Clay by selling his new This Old Pinball DVD (#7 - Banzaii Wars) and thought I should prolly go home.

Friday morning got Clay and I back over at BBB production and talking to Kerry. I got a few more shots. Shaggy's presentation on Friday was "R-Rated" so I didn't want to miss that, but my thoughts were with my family. Shaggy let me show a preview of Pins and Vids #1 and that was very cool. I changed my flight an left a few minutes after Shaggy was done.

So my trip was aborted, but the family is fine. Expo gave me $40 for my banquet ticket and missed time.

Such was my trip. Sorta glad it's over but the time with Gene and Clay was the best stuff.

-Al-

PS - Other than a couple of dropouts the crunched tape is OK, I have the video on my computer for editing and it looks GREAT.
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
pinsane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Al,

First of all, it's a relief to hear your family was unhurt from the accident. Quite a scare I'm sure. Coincidentally, I just got off the phone with my wife who also had a minor auto accident today--could it be the BBB/EXPO curse?

I had asked a few of your friends to point you out to me today, but everyone said they hadn't seen you since yesterday. I guess I now know why. Hope everything is okay back at the ranch.

As it turns out, I did see you because you were leaving the assembly plant w/ Clay, as I was pulling into the parking lot.

Sorry that your Expo plans were trimmed. Hopefully next year we'll have a chance to meet. So far at Expo, I've seen Zaphod, BBB94, BBB96, Rick Swanson, RazerX, CraigC and of course Kerry so the BBB faithful are well represented. Hey Bob Stemmler, If you're still at the show, please look me up! Also--who was the guy walking around in the white BBB polo-shirt yesterday?????

steve SDTM
BBB93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

, I've seen Zaphod, BBB94, BBB96, Rick Swanson, RazerX, CraigC and of course Kerry so the BBB faithful are well represented. Hey Bob Stemmler, If you're still at the show, please look me up!

Steve, sorry we didn't have a chance to meet up. My EXPO was abreviated this year. Came in Friday afternoon, completed a trade in the parking lot, played some pinball, went to the fireside chat, saw some old friends and met a few new friends.... and of course played some more pinball. Had to leave Saturday morning.

Enjoyed playing a few games of BBB, having a game to play at the show was great. During the fireside chat they pulled BBB into the room and put it thru all of the sound tests, there were a lot of clips I had never heard before. Got my picture taken with Stan and Rob next to BBB. Had a great time, only sorry I did not have a chance to meet all of the folks from here.

Bob Stemmler #93
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID SOMEONE GET PICTURES?

kim
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mostly video. I prolly only have 200 pictures or so. My plans changing really threw off what I ended up with media wise. The BBB stuff will be awesome though. You guys are in for a treat. I'll get Gene his copy of the video this week so he can approve stuff for you to see. It's going to take some light editing before he gets it. I also might be able to get my hands on some other footage that a friend of mine took...

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
PINBALL WITCH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al

I'm glad to hear everyone is okay, and I'm glad that you made it home safely.

It was great to meet you and and I think meeting up at North gave you a whole new prosective on how much had to be done and how far we have come.

It was really coooool being at north and seeing all of the assemblies that are completed. I have my prints seperated and we were double checking to make sure the parts we thought that were being made really are being made.

Goods news we are on track.

kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: