Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you want an update???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: So you want an update??? Reply with quote

For those of you who just don’t understand why this project is dragging on, here are a few thoughts from the Big Bosses:

This is a BIG project to take on and Gene has done it for the Love of Pinball! There have been numerous times that some people have expressed the notion that this project is consuming too much time and resources, but Gene & crew persist. All for the Love of Pinball!

It was a nice thought by Robert Winter for posting “Who would be willing to pay more???” on the forum. Thank you very much but no thanks. The price for a “Production Version” Big Bang Bar remains $4500.00 USD, pre-paid, PERIOD.

We are not yet ready for many volunteers. The few who have helped have done a large chunk of work already.
Those who have sent their info in are not forgotten. When your time can be utilized to its fullest, we will set up a schedule and contact you. Again, we thank you for your support!

As you all know, when you put Christmas toys together for your children, these “some assembly required” items are usually a pain. Even those parts were made “to the print” but they don’t quite seem to work together. (Why do you think they want YOU to assemble them?)
After you get through the first one, the second is a little easier & so on until you can get several done in no time. So it is with BBB.
These toys have what, maybe thirty or so parts? BBB has a few more than that… And these prints were never finalized for production!

The mechanical assemblies were out-sourced to professional assembly shops as were the mounting & wiring of the playfield lower assemblies.
The other assemblies were /are being put together by competent local workers.

The problems that have arisen are being worked out. Quality is our desire.

Some of the problems that we have encountered stem from our low volume order quantity (what big company wants to piddle around with 200 pieces of this or 400 pieces of that??? And if they will, it always costs more or you have to wait until big $$$ business slows down…).
Here are some examples of the adventures we have had:

1. A wiring harness supplier has had open purchase orders for a very long time. The major wiring harnesses are a pain to make and it seems that there isn’t much enthusiasm in doing them. The samples were approved back in December but they have yet to produce…
There is a contingency plan in motion for this delay. All it takes is time…
2. Playfields & cabinets took 9 months and an extra $60 per set.
3. The corrections to the side art cost an extra $4500.00.
4. Refinishing the clearcoat on the playfields has run about $10,000.00.
5. There have been numerous items that the previous project manager(s) have indicated that they needed 400ea of an item but only ordered 200. One bracket in particular requires 3ea per game but they only ordered 1ea… Now you try to get the manufacturer to re-tool and make yet another small run… Just more time & money. Time and time again…
6. Brass plating has had its woes. Between the manufacturer not cleaning the parts well, the polisher not removing his polishing compound from the nooks & crannies and the plater not cleaning them before plating, this is the 4th rework with the costs over $5000. Remember, these are professional companies who do this day-in /day-out. They just get dumb when a small nuisance run shows up…
7. Over $5000 was spent on research to get the main ramp flashing arrows to work on a lower /safer voltage. The result is that they run the way CapCom designed them. It’s shocking, literally!
8. The original company which made the translights would not re-run them. A premium was paid to acquire originals…
9. A small coil was made by a supplier with the manufacturer’s part number molded into the bobbin. That number had been adopted by Williams as their part number. Someone decided to sabotage the project by hopping at the chance of telling Williams that we were using Williams parts in BBB. Williams said this was a no-no. Another company was found that could make the part without the number molded into it. An order was placed but there was no further communication from them. After inquiring about them, we found that they had moved to Texas. They had then gone out of business. The original company contacted Williams to work out the “whose part number is it really?” issue. Resolution of this took over 2 months to get the part released for use.
10. In order to make the playfields, we had to pay a considerable amount to have the programming redone from scratch as someone had acquired the disks containing the digital information (which we had already paid for) and sent them hopping about down under…
11. One of the assembly companies is splitting up. Now parts will have to follow them in the move and wait to have an assembly line set up again before work can continue.

As you can see, there have been some really frustrating situations come to life in this project. Yet we keep fighting to complete your games.

For those concerned about money, 6% simple yearly interest for the one and a half years we have had your money is approximately $405. With the cost over-runs, you are earning about 22% and you get a machine!

Thanks to all who have given so much of their time & dedication to this adventure. Without you, this project could not have happened.

Gene & Georgianna

Now some of my thoughts:
This is one heck-of-a project. Even though I’ve been in my fair share of pinball machines, it never dawned on me how many parts there are! Even the parts have pieces & pieces!
I guess it wouldn’t have been so difficult if the original documentation had been here. Apparently that was taken by the previous project manager(s) in both paper and electronic form.

It really gets to you when you set up a task for a worker (i.e. find the parts & set up the tooling, run a couple samples to work the bugs out) only to be called back because there aren’t enough brackets in the box. After some research, you find that you need 600 for a full build but there were only 200 ordered. And yet the paper trail clearly shows that 600 were required! Fun, fun, joy, joy…

What about when you begin amassing pieces to make an assembly only to find that an assembly isn’t there. Normal research comes up empty. You try the old “does this ring a bell” to suppliers to find that the previous project manager(s) had dropped off a box with parts and small note saying ‘put terminals on these’ . No print, no diagram, no sketch, no purchase order…

Or how about when you’re working hard to get things done & make them right and you want to share your struggle /thoughts with others only to have people rip the enthusiasm right out from under you because rather than saying ‘that sucks, can you make it work?’ or ‘what a pain, thanks for catching that for us’, they belittle you over what the previous guy should have caught (or been more anal with). Hence my not posting anything! Why waste my time only to get beat up???

There you have it.
Just a taste of the life that is Big Bang Bar…
The Other Guy

If anyone has a question for Gene, just fax him at 309-828-3232. Be sure to include your name, machine number, phone number and/or fax number.

Any comments /question for me, PM me…
RatherPlayPinball

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool comments. Thanks to all the crew for hounding this. I'd rather get a quality machine late than getting it early with issues.

When this party is over, I'll be the first to buy all of you a beer (or whatever you're drinking).

Jack
robertwinter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight Gene, Georgianna and TOG. I can only imagine how daunting this task has actually become and to hear of all the little issues really puts this into perspective.

I for one am behind the team/project entirely. You've done a great job so far. Please keep up the good work!
BBB #74
Kerry Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the update.

We all really appreciate it.

Parts, parts and more parts, issues, delay and excuses. We certainly understand your frustrations.

I too agree, I would rather have the game later (done right) than sooner withs issues.

Thanks again for all your hard work & efforts!

Kerry Richard #111
raypanic

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I appreciate the update!
#002 Brass Prototype
F1 Junkie

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.

I thought everything was ready to go for assembly, but I guess not.
Kronis

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Now I'm depressed. Sad

BBB #21
latecomer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So you want an update??? Reply with quote

The Other Guy wrote:

We are not yet ready for many volunteers. The few who have helped have done a large chunk of work already.

The problems that have arisen are being worked out. Quality is our desire.

Yet we keep fighting to complete your games.

Thanks to all who have given so much of their time & dedication to this adventure. Without you, this project could not have happened.

Gene & Georgianna

Why be depressed? This all sounds good to me, yes I've highlighted the good bits, the the negative stuff wasn't repeated because the post itself dealt with them.

I think it's time to "keep the faith" and see that G & G and ToG ARE making this happen..
Regards
Nick
Vegemite Nick #123
harrrrrrr

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... GREAT UPDATE... but I am a little ticked at the nay sayers that seem to come out of the woodwork here and elsewhere. Hey... you put your cash and faith in Gene and crew... keep it there or at least keep quiet. Yes, I suppose several of you think prodding is ok as you've got money in this deal... well... in my opinion NO IT'S NOT OK. This isn't "normal" manufacturing project... this is a highly unusual one that deserves only our good faith, help and gracious thanks to all involved. Over the past few weeks I have been wanting to rant at the "this will take this long crowd"... just zip it... find something else to focus on other than BBB and be thankful when your machine arrives. Rant off.

Gene, Georgianna, Kim, TOG... you guys are great to dedicate yourselves to this through all the difficulties. All I can say is I hope you're still having fun and joy with this... you've certainly given us a lot of both. I am with you 100% and will remain so... all the best.

John
BBB94

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TOG, you can't make a big post like this, I just got done saying how you don't have time to post... :-) Thanks for the detailed update. It's too bad that some have tried and perhaps continue to try and sabotage this project. I hope the last few vendor problems get resolved soon.

I sure wish the digital art files had not all gone missing; to recreate it all from the full scale negatives would be very expensive (thousands @ $15-$21/square foot/color) for the cabinet art, backbox, and apron art.
Swann

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly great update with an insight into some (I guess) of the struggles that you have been going through in the project!

You should all (the BBB-team that is) know that we are many that believe in you and are truly greatful for the effort that you put into this! Our thoughts and hopes and wishes are with you all the time! *)

* Does anybody forward our responses to Gene & Co ?
BBB #79 has arrived here in Stockholm, Sweden!
rwsimpson

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

Ross
atlfun

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed update. I personally have no interest in hounding the BBB team for every twist and turn and then turning it into a group discussion.

IMO, a quartely update would be more appropriate than a monthly update.

For those who feel like you have been let down by the production schedule then why not ask for a refund? I am unaware of any refund request being turned down.

Brian
The Other Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB94 Embarassed Sorry for making you look bad! Embarassed
For the record, that was originated on my time & posted on a break...

Swann Wink Yes, G&G do see the responses. There's a little time delay, but they see them...

To all: All the BBB family members do deserve to know how things are
going. The smaller progresses do happen, but you know that one "oh fudge" smears over lots of "oh joy's". My biggest job is re-processing that 'fudge' into something good. I will try to do a better job of updating. Embarassed Maybe I shouldn't work so hard???

TOG
CraigC

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrrrrrr wrote:
OK... GREAT UPDATE... but I am a little ticked at the nay sayers that seem to come out of the woodwork here and elsewhere. Hey... you put your cash and faith in Gene and crew... keep it there or at least keep quiet. Yes, I suppose several of you think prodding is ok as you've got money in this deal... well... in my opinion NO IT'S NOT OK. This isn't "normal" manufacturing project... this is a highly unusual one that deserves only our good faith, help and gracious thanks to all involved. Over the past few weeks I have been wanting to rant at the "this will take this long crowd"... just zip it... find something else to focus on other than BBB and be thankful when your machine arrives. Rant off.

John

Since i was doing a great deal of prodding i have to say that i dont feel bad about it. That's what this website is for....being updated about the status of the BBB project. My main beef was that i was hearing more about how the project was going on RGP and through the rumor mill than on this website.

Now that i know where we are..that's totaly cool. We're behind and that's ok. i'm of course 100% supporting the project and will donate whatever time i can to help out (as long as it's before October since there will be a little CraigC running around). There's no question that all of us arent 100% supporting this project so it's pretty silly to say that. Of course we are or we would be either trolling to sell it, or wanting our money back. I'm here for as long as it takes. mainly because i would have no idea what to do with my money once i got it back...hell i only have room for one more machine and it might as well be the holy grail of pinball Wink

I totaly respect IPB's quality control since every part i've bought from him has been perfect and i know that takes time.

So now that i'm done prodding on BBB for a while...where are we on those funhouse playfields Wink

oh i kid because i love Wink

-c
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Progress Updates All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: