Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captive ball lock switches working?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sellenoff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Captive ball lock switches working? Reply with quote

I'm curious if others have noticed this problem or if it's just my game.

When a ball is sitting on the right side of the captive ball (ray's ball buster), the switch is not registering in the switch test. If I push the ball up a bit, the switch registers.

The corresponding left side switch works fine, ie, when the ball is there, the switch is registered as closed.

I tried fiddling with the switch and to see how I could make it work as intended, but other than trying a different switch I can't think of anything.

I'm curious if others have this problem as well. It might even be a design flaw of the original game. The software seems to compensate fairly well, although strange things start happening if you watch it closely.

Thanks for any feedback-
Steve
runner1717

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Bend the wire up and lengthen it a little. The switch should be closed when one ball is resting on a side. Both switches should be closed with two or more balls on a side.

Mine were totally messed up. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get to "big bang". Then I noticed it was impossible to get Ray's Ball Buster and checked the switches. Now it works great!
BBB94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my right side RBB switches (79) does not register consistently, it doesn't register until well after you hear the click that normally means that a switch is closed. I think the switch is bad.

Rays' Ball Buster's switches are:
78 (TL, top left)............80 (TR, top right)
77 (BL, bottom left)......79 (BR, bottom right)

The switches are designed to detect ball 1 and 3 on each side. The logic is this:
BL....TL....BR....TR...Means (balls left side/balls right side) - 4 balls total captive
.C.....C......O.....O....4/0
.C.....C......C.....O....3/1
.C.....O......C.....O....2/2
.C.....O......C.....C....1/3
.O.....O......C.....C....0/4

The software seems to have a delay is registering switch positions to allow the balls time to come to a rest before making game score changes, so that ball bounces don't affect score.

If you think you need to move a switch a little instead of bending the wire more, try this: remove the switch bracket from the bottom of the playfield and use a small woodworking chisel to remove the wood lumps from the screw hole entrances. This will allow more freedom in positioning the switch when you re-attach it as it will not re-center on the wood lumps.

If moving the switch doesn't help, you may need to bend the wire to get the apex (when the switch is pushed down) to be where the bottom of the ball is. Careful bending the switch wire - they like to break. You might be better off just pre-bending a new wire, but then again those little plastic bumps that hold the switch wire onto the switch like to shear off too.

Note: page 83 of the manual has an error in the switch diagram. The black circle "81" should be "79".
sellenoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runner1717 wrote:
Steve,

Bend the wire up and lengthen it a little. The switch should be closed when one ball is resting on a side. Both switches should be closed with two or more balls on a side.

Mine were totally messed up. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get to "big bang". Then I noticed it was impossible to get Ray's Ball Buster and checked the switches. Now it works great!

Could you show a picture or draw it or something? I tried bending the switch in a few different ways, but with no luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> Tech Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: