Big Bang Bar Forum Index Big Bang Bar
Forum hosted by Robert Winter

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number of rings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinballlew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Number of rings? Reply with quote

I tried searching but can't find the correct number of rings. Those of you that have your games and ordered rings. How many did you use. Thanks -Mike
awarner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with 6, that's the number that will fit evenly between the slits before you run out of space.
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
I went with 6, that's the number that will fit evenly between the slits before you run out of space.

How is it that the picture of the proto game shows something like 13-15 pieces IIRC?
awarner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could put a lot of rings on there. At $10.00 a piece, 6 worked for me.

-Al-
Pins and Vids #4 - A New Hoax DVD, Available NOW at www.pinsandvids.com for only $12.00 plus shipping.
sellenoff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awarner wrote:
Yeah, you could put a lot of rings on there. At $10.00 a piece, 6 worked for me.

-Al-

Well, now I'm confused.. Smile

You said 6 was the number before you run out of space, but then you said you could fit a lot more? So which is it? Smile
awarner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture would work well here. You can put a bunch of rings on the tube. If you are putting one between each of the slits, 6-7 will do it. BY running out of room, I meant that when you get back to where the main ramp goes up, you run out of room before you run out of green tube ramp. You can't put any behind there. Six worked for me, but you could double or triple up and/or not pay attention to the slits so you could use as many as you want. I think 6 is a minimum number.
metallik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. they'd just be closer together. I don't think more than 7 would look good, though.
tcat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably missed the post on ordering, but how do we actually "order" these rings? Thanks! '

Harold
BBB#132
awarner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't missed it. Gene offered them as pre-orders for people picking up. He planned to order 3Xs as many and sell them when they came in. I'm sure Kim or TOG will let you know when they are available.

-Al-
Cliffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the one prototype that had them there are supposed to be 15 rings. Our kit uses 15 rings. They are slightly larger outside diameter (better proportion to the tube) and laser cut to fit the form of the ramp. Our spacing template guarantees perfect spacing every time. The two main obstacles were the ramp and the spinner but we finally nailed it Smile
jadziedzic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffy, then I take it the picture on the pinbits site of the tube with a gap in the rings near the back end was before your tweaks for the spinner and such? Might want to update the picture if that's indeed the case.

So when are you going to have this stuff in stock? Everything on the Web site is shown as out of stock ... Sad My BBB feels nekked

Tony
BBB #39
Cliffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, Tony Smile Thats a preproduction shot but if you click on another link he has it shows them all. Martin is fit to be tied about attaching the rings. Bless his heart Smile I personally see NO problem with you guys using a tiny dab of silicone on the bottom of the rings. Martin will laser cut a small notch on the bottom inside diameter to accomdate the silicone. This will make it practically invisible. This is really the only hangup right now so as soon as he cuts a set and gets positive feedback from a tester they will be ready to go. We were trying vnyl dots for a friction fit, tape srips, wedges, rods, but in the end we are sttling on the simple silicone approach. What *I* would like to do is install the set myself on Kerry's game and take pics at every step so we can have a pictorial installation guide. We want to make these dummy proof and I'm the perfect dummy for the test Smile

I can't tell you how strongly I agree with you on the nekkid part Smile Honest! Whenever we took the rings back off the game just did NOT look right! Even moreso on the pop bmpers!
Cliffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here's the pic with ALL rings on Smile

Walter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffy / Martin,

These rings look great!

One question though - Did you guys look into ball hangups?

I had heard that was a concern with the orignal prototype rings and I've personally "stuck" a ball at the tube exit right up against the left purple wire ball return.

A quick thwap on the side of the cabinet easily frees the ball. It's hard to tell if the rings would work the same way. With the spacing you have in mind, would a ball wedge between rings or stick on top?

Thank for everything. I can't wait to pick up a full kit to trick out my machine.

Walter
Cliffy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the ball can certainly get stuck and as you discovered the ball can get stuck on the tube even without the rings! We proposed a slanted sheet to go over the top of the rings but every single person said they would rather not have a guard lke that. All said that they would rather pull the glass and free the ball that way.

Now, keep this in mind too, when you put Martin's dead drop foam behind the two green targets to either side of the ramp you will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce, if not eliminate, air balls that could get up there in the first place.

The only airballs we got were off those targets and once we put the foam behind them we never once got another air ball.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Big Bang Bar Forum Index -> General Big Bang Bar Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: